DUCTLESS SYSTEMS IN DOOR COUNTY
The Advantages of Ductless Heat Pumps
Ductless split-zoning air-conditioning and heat pump systems have been the quiet solution for cooling and heating problems for decades. These powerful systems have three main components:
• an indoor unit
• an outdoor unit
• a wireless controller.
A ductless system is an option for both heating and cooling, and offers a high level of customization. Great for room additions or anywhere ductwork is a challenge, ductless systems offer single and multi-zone styles that can be installed high on the wall, in the ceiling, or near the floor.
Used for decades in Europe and Asia, “ductless” mini-split heat pumps differ from traditional home heating and cooling systems by:
• Providing both heating and cooling through a single device – a heat pump. Heat pumps have been used, mainly in Southern climates, for decades.
• Avoiding ductwork. Instead of difficult-to-install, leaky and bulky ductwork, ductless mini-split heat pumps use an indoor unit2 connected to an outdoor unit3 via refrigerant lines (which only need a three-inch hole in an outdoor wall for installation). Up to 8 indoor units can be attached to one outdoor unit. (See Figure 1)
• Allowing for Different Climates for Each Room. Each indo
or unit can provide customized heating and cooling — adjustable through wall consoles, remote controls and smart phone apps — in each conditioned space.
• Cutting heating costs in half compared to conventional electric heating systems. Because they transfer instead of generate
heat, ductless mini-split heat pumps use 60% less energy than standard home electric resistance-based heating systems.
• Cutting cooling costs by 30% compared to conventional room air conditioners. Ductless min-split heat pumps use more sophisticated compressors and fans that can adjust speeds to save energy.