At Wulf Brothers, your home comfort is our top priority. Since 1879, we have been putting our customers first. Whether you need a new heating installation, a routine service or repair, our sales, service and factory-trained technicians provide the expertise your home or business depends on. We carry only high quality products including Bryant, Lennox, Carrier, Sanyo and Unico. Please stop in one of our store locations or contact us to find out more about our products and services. We are also happy to provide you with a free estimate.
What you need to know about choosing the right furnace
Size refers to its heating capacity not is physical dimensions. The capacity of a heating system is measured in BTU’s (British Thermal Units) per hour. The BTU input of your new furnace is measured to the BTU Heat Loss of your home. In general a unit that is too small will lack the capacity to heat your home. A unit that is too big will short cycle and never deliver the comfort you want.
The efficiency of a gas furnace is indicated by its annual fuel utilization efficiency or AFUE rating. An 80% AFUE (today’s minimum required efficiency) means that a furnace utilizes 80% of the BTU (or BTUH) in the gas to heat your home and the remaining 20% goes up your chimney. A 95% AFUE means that a furnace utilizes 95% of the BTU (or BTUH) in the gas to heat your home and the remaining 5% vents out your chimney. The more efficient the furnace the lower the heating bill and this means less gas WASTED.
A Residential Heating and AC comfort specialist will look at your current venting system and tell you if any changes are needed to accommodate your new furnace. This will include installing a proper "combustion air" or "fresh air intake."
In general the high efficiency furnaces cost more to install. A high efficiency gas unit will pay for itself over time because of the annual utility savings (due to operating cost), rebates and tax credits. Other factors that effect cost are how difficult the removal of the old system will be. How difficult retrofitting a new system will be. As well as bringing the current ductwork up to current Mechanical Code.
Which is perhaps the most important step in replacing and upgrading your current system! Choosing the right company to install the furnace can make the difference. You can install the best made furnace incorrectly, undersize it, or not install it to code and it will never deliver proper performance and efficiency. These items can cause parts to break down and require multiple repairs on your new system and cost you time, energy and money.
Most furnace and AC's come with a basic manufacturer warranty. The warranty is divided into two categories: PARTS & LABOR. The Length of time for the coverage of each depends on the system that you purchase and the contractor you choose. Our comfort specialist will design a warranty based on your needs and wants.
Energy Savings with a More Efficient Furnace
The chart shows approximate savings in an average household when upgraded to newer more efficient furnaces.
Improve Furnace Efficiency Savings over 1st Year Savings over 10 Years
from 65% to 80% $183 $1,830
from 65% to 92% $287 $2,870
from 65% to 94% $301 $3,010